Aims and Results
CAAST-Net Plus is a network of 26 partner organisations from all over Europe and sub-Saharan Africa working together to support bi-regional cooperation in research and innovation.
[Image credit: Department of Science and Technology of South Africa]
Building on the results of the CAAST-Net project (2008-2012) CAAST-Net Plus aims to:
Encourage more and better bi-regional STI cooperation for enhanced outcomes around topics of mutual interest, and particularly in relation to the global societal challenges of climate change, food security and health.
Foster discussion among stakeholders for gathering informed opinion and experience about the bi-regional cooperation process, formulating and disseminating it in such a way as to be admissible to the formal bi-regional STI policy dialogue process and to programme owners.
Outcomes and Outputs
CAAST-Net Plus delivers important contributions to the quality and scope of the Africa-Europe STI relationship for mutual benefit through:
- Informing the bi-regional policy dialogue for mutual learning and awareness.
- Building support for coordinated and innovative approaches to bilateral funding of bi-regional cooperation around global challenges.
- Brokering the public-private relationship to foster improved uptake and translation of bi-regional research partnership outputs into innovative technologies, good and services.
- Providing dedicated mechanisms to encourage bi-regional research partnerships.
- Framework Conditions for Africa-EU Research and Innovation Cooperation in the Field of Food and Nutrition Security: An Action Research Report
- Communication and Dissemination in an Africa-EU Research and Innovation Cooperation Network
- Briefing Note: Key Results from the RFI Africa Consultations
- EU-Africa Research and Innovation Cooperation for Food and Nutrition Security: A Review of Programming Experiences and Future Options
- Report and Recommendations: CAAST-Net Plus Workshop with Africa’s Regional Economic Communities, Science Academies and the ERAfrica Initative
- Potential Instruments for Implementing the EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture
- Policy Brief: Bringing Public and Private Sector Actors Closer Together in the Africa-EU Research and Innovation Partnership on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture
- Policy Brief: Lessons Learned from Building Africa-EU Research and Innovation Partnerships for Global Challenges
- Designing an Africa-EU Research and Innovation Collaboration Platform on Climate Change
- Africa-EU Research Collaboration on Health: A Critical Analysis of the Scope, Outputs and Potential Outcomes
- The African Regional Economic Communities and Africa-EU STI Cooperation: Report and Recommendations from a CAAST-Net Plus Workshop
- Africa-EU Research Collaboration on Food Security: A Critical Analysis of the Scope, Coordination and Uptake of Findings
- Findings and Recommendations for Decision-makers from the First CAAST-Net Plus Stakeholder Forum
- Conclusions from a Workshop on Engaging SMEs in EU-Africa Research Cooperation
- Africa-EU Research Collaboration on Climate Change: A Critical Analysis of the Scope, Coordination and Uptake of Findings
- Africa-EU Research Collaboration on Climate Change, Food Security and Water Linkages: An Overview of Emerging Issues and Potential Research Priorities
- CAAST-Net Plus Workshop on Sustainable Agriculture - Ghana
- The COHRED Research Fairness Initiative Conference - Belgium
- CAAST-Net Plus and COHRED To Test Research Fairness Initiative - Senegal
- CAAST-Net Plus and COHRED To Test Research Fairness Initiative - Nigeria
- CAAST-Net Plus Workshop Targets Early-career Energy Tech and Policy Researchers - Rwanda
- CAAST-Net Plus Teams Up with KEMRI and COHRED Research Fairness Initiative - Kenya
- Stakeholder Forum: Africa-EU Research and Innovation Partnership on FNSSSA - Ethiopia
- Second CAAST-Net Plus Workshop with RECs and Science Academies - Ethiopia
- Survey Validation Workshop - France
- Forging Closer Ties - CAAST-Net Plus Meeting with Regional Economic Communities - South Africa
- CAAST-Net Plus Food Security Workshop at Africa-Techno Forum - South Africa
- CAAST-Net Plus Climate Change Stakeholder Workshop - Norway
- CAAST-Net Plus at African Science Minister Dialogue - Ghana
- Second CAAST-Net Plus Stakeholder Forum: Pathways to Research Uptake - South Africa
- CAAST-Net Plus Participates in High-level Food Security Meeting - UK
- CAAST-Net Plus Horizon 2020 East Africa Roadshow - Various*
- Engaging SMEs in EU-Africa Research Cooperation - Belgium
- CAAST-Net Plus, EDCTP Engage Private Sector Actors - Germany
- CAAST-Net Plus Regional Workshop on Climate Change in East Africa - Rwanda
- First CAAST-Net Plus Stakeholder Forum: Transferring Knowledge Into Solutions - Uganda
- Workshop: Niches to Enhance EU-Africa Health Research Cooperation - South Africa
- CAAST-Net Plus SADC Regional Workshop on Climate Change Adaptation - Malawi
- CAAST-Net Plus-Supported Food Security Side Event at High Level EU-Africa Science Policy Meeting
- Workshop on Climate Change Adaptation in Agriculture - Ghana
- CAAST-Net Plus Workshops on Climate Change, Research Infrastructures - Ethiopia
- 14/10/2016 - CAAST-Net Plus to Negotiate Extension With Commission
- 31/08/2016 - CAAST-Net Plus Horizon 2020 Training Survey | AU Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Awards 2016
- 31/05/2016 - US$9m for AU Research Grants 2016 | COHRED Global Consultation on Research Fairness Initiative
- 23/03/2016 - Study Findings: Africa-EU Research Collaboration on Health
- 22/02/2016 - Stakeholder Forum on Africa-EU Research and Innovation Partnership
- 14/10/2015 - New Horizon 2020 Calls Released
- 06/07/2015 - Research Report: Africa-EU Research Collaboration on Food Security
- 14/05/2015 - From the Entebbe Forum: Findings and Recommendations for Decision-makers
- 17/11/2014 - UPDATE: New CAAST-Net Plus Study on Climate Change Research Collaboration | The missing URL
- 17/11/2014 - New CAAST-Net Plus Study on Climate Change Research Collaboration
- 06/05/2014 - Food Security Research Collaboration Impact Survey
- June 2017
- October 2016
- August 2016
- April 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- August 2015
- April 2015
- January 2015
- October 2014
- August 2014
- April 2014
- Issue 10 | December 2017 PDF | 2.5Mb
- Issue 9 | July 2017 PDF | 1.94Mb
- Issue 8 | December 2016 PDF | 2.27Mb
- Issue 7 | June 2016 PDF | 4.8Mb
- Issue 6 | December 2015 PDF | 3.74Mb
- Issue 5 | June 2015 PDF | 2.51Mb
- Issue 4 | December 2014 PDF | 2.1Mb
- Issue 3 | June 2014 PDF | 1.71Mb
- Issue 2 | December 2013 PDF | 1.22Mb
- Issue 1 | June 2013 PDF | 911.38Kb
CAAST-Net Plus Background
In 2007 heads of state and government from Africa and Europe launched the Joint Africa-EU Strategy (JAES), formulated in response to geopolitical changes, globalisation and the processes of integration in Africa and Europe.
At the heart of the JAES is an overtly political relationship. Among the features distinguishing JAES from previous Africa-Europe policy initiatives is the associated action plan, renewed after the April 2014 Africa-Europe summit of heads of state as a roadmap, focusing on five priority areas for Africa-Europe cooperation.
The contribution of scientific and technological research and innovation, and the centrality of research capacity for economic and social growth and poverty alleviation, and for addressing global societal challenges of mutual interest is embedded across the roadmap. But it also appears explicitly under the focal areas of human development as an STI partnership governed by a EU-Africa high-level policy dialogue platform in STI.
The value of STI cooperation between the continents is central and under JAES has already led to significant achievements for mutual benefit.
Funding and Coordination
CAAST-Net Plus is funded by the European Union's Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development. It will run from 2013 to 2016.
The project is coordinated by Dr Andy Cherry at the Association of Commonwealth Universities and Dr Eric Mwangi at the Kenyan Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, who is the project's Africa Region Coordinator.
General enquries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Two continents. 26 partners. One mission.
CAAST-Net Plus: Advancing Sub-Saharan Africa-EU Research and Innovation for Global Challenges.
To report an error, write to email@example.com. To learn more about us, go to www.researchresearch.com/africa.
Disclaimer: CAAST-Net Plus is funded by the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement n0 311806. This document reflects only the authors’ views and the European Union cannot be held liable for any use that may be made of the information contained herein.