The Network for the Coordination and Advancement of Sub-Saharan Africa-EU Science and Technology Cooperation (CAAST-Net) was a project funded by the European Commission for the period 2008-2012. It is the predecessor project to CAAST-Net Plus - our foundation.
We're building a story about CAAST-Net here to accompany a list of key CAAST-Net outputs.
Comments? Suggestions? Questions? Write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Portuguese capital of Lisbon played host to an historic meeting in the European winter of 2007. Heads of State and Governments from Africa and the European Union gathered together to agree a new pact – the Joint Africa-EU Strategy.
Under this new bi-regional framework eight so-called partnerships made up the priority areas, from peace and security (Partnership 1) to migration, mobility and employment (Partnership 7). Partnership 8, as it came to be known, carried a specific mandate to advance bi-regional collaboration in the domains of science, information society, and space.
The CAAST-Net project launched very soon after the Lisbon Summit, in Entebbe, Uganda. As shown in the first of many CAAST-Net group photographs, the kick-off meeting brought together representatives from the network’s 18 partner organisations from across Africa and Europe. Africa and Europe in a global context.
CAAST-Net was conceived against the background of a global consensus that capacity in science and technology is essential to economic competitiveness, sustainable development and poverty reduction. - Description of Work: CAAST-Net (Grant 212625)
[Image credit: Leo Pekkala]
Organisations represented at the kick-off meeting included many of Africa and Europe's national science authorities, as well as professionals from the then newly formed *Research Africa business (the only private sector organisation in the CAAST-Net consortium).
The convening offered an opportunity for new working relationships to be forged, new ideas to be explored, new friendships to be struck.
An increase in the quality and quantity of bi-regional cooperation in science and technology between Europe and Africa, targeting areas of mutual interest and benefit through greater use of instruments under the FP7, as well as through other instruments of international cooperation, and through lobbying for greater synergy between R&D and development instruments. - CAAST-Net Goal Statement
Distinctive about this grainy black and white photograph is the uprightness of all the partners as they pose, their summer shirts, the sense of expectation and purpose.
CAAST-Net work over the period 2008-2012 consisted of interventions across six areas of activity:
Area 1: Understanding Africa-Europe S&T cooperation activities
Area 2: Investigating the relationship between S&T and development
Area 3: Supporting high level policy dialogues between Africa and Europe
Area 4: Building partnerships for Europe-Africa S&T cooperation through engaging with stakeholders
Area 5: Engaging with Africa’s Regional Economic Communities
Area 6: Supporting FP7 participation
Underpinning this work were a range of project coordination, management and communication activities.
Key CAAST-Net Reports
CAAST-Net partners produced a great number and variety of reports and presentations - from event concept and recommendation papers, to papers of a more analytical nature. Their common thread? Coordinating and advancing science, technology and innovation cooperation between Africa and Europe, for mutual benefit.
A small number of key reports (by year) are listed below.
- FP7 Africa Call Projects and Clusters: Analysis of Potential Funding and Implementing Programmes
- Conclusions from Second CAAST-Net Stakeholder Conference: Innovation to Support the Bi-regional STI Dialogue Between Africa and Europe
- Background Paper for Second CAAST-Net Stakeholder Conference: Innovation to Support the Bi-regional STI Dialogue Between Africa and Europe
- Status of African National Contact Points
- Report on CAAST-Net, MIRA Workshop on Innovation - Egypt
- Report: CAAST-Net Engagement with ECOWAS - 2010 to 2012
- Conclusions from Third CAAST-Net Stakeholder Forum: Role of Research Infrastructures in Africa-EU Cooperation
- Briefing Note: 3rd CAAST-Net Stakeholder Conference - Research Infrastructures for Africa-Europe Cooperation
- Scene-Setting Paper: Research Infrastructures for Africa-Europe Cooperation
- Reading List: Research Infrastructures for Africa-Europe Cooperation
- Concept Note: Third CAAST-Net Stakeholders' Conference on Africa-Europe S&T Cooperation
- CAAST-Net Analysis of Options for Development Cooperation Instruments to Support Research Infrastructure Partnerships
- CAAST-Net Website Development: Analysis of Synergies with Related Portals
- FP7 Call for Africa: Promotional Brochure to Encourage Networking
- Concept Note: CAAST-Net-MIRA Workshop on Innovation
- Concept Note: Developing West Africa-Europe Partnerships in Natural Health Products Innovation
- Briefing Note: CAAST-Net Stakeholder Conference on Africa-Europe S&T Cooperation
- Recommendations: Workshop on Lessons Learned from Specific Bilateral and Multilateral S&T Activities between Europe and Africa
- Proposal for a Regional Policy Dialogue between SADC and EU Stakeholders
- Policy Note: Expert Workshop with 3 INCO-Nets Generates Future Regional KBBE R&D Themes
- Analysis: Contribution of the African Diaspora to EU-Africa Cooperation
- Report: Africa-EU Expert Workshop on Social Sciences and Humanities
- Background Paper: Identifying Topics for Africa-European Research Cooperation in the Socio-Economic Sciences and Humanities
- Featured Links on the CAAST-Net Website
- Workshop Report: Towards Improved Technologies for Increasing Production in Crop, Livestock and Fisheries in the East African Community
- Report of an Expert Workshop on Non-communicable Diseases
- Report of an Expert Workshop on Renewable Energy and Biofuels
- Conclusions from First CAAST-Net Stakeholder Conference: Africa-Europe Cooperation in Science and Technology - Status and Way Forward
- CAAST-Net Poster Prepared for First CAAST-Net Stakeholder Conference
- Agenda: Info Day - Opportunities for African Researchers to Participate in the 7th Research and Technological Development Programme
- Strengthening Science and Technology Policy Dialogue Between African and Europe: Understanding a Busy Landscape and Leveraging New Opportunities
- Workshop Report: Towards Better Synergy Between S&T and Development
- Towards Better Synergy Between S&T and Development: Proposals and Recommendations
- Science and Technology for Development: The Institutional Landscape in Africa and Europe
- The FP7 Information System in Africa
The Network was a bespoke newsletter published by *Research Africa for CAAST-Net in 2010 and 2011 as part of piloting the development of an Africa-EU science and technology cooperation platform. Its goal was to disseminate news, events and funding opportunities to CAAST-Net stakeholders.
- Number 12 | July 2011
- Number 11 | May 2011
- Number 10 | November 2010
- Number 9 | October 2010
- Number 8 | September 2010
- Number 7 | September 2010
- Number 6 | August 2010
- Number 5 | August 2010
- Number 4 | July 2010
- Number 3 | July 2010
- Number 2 | June 2010
- Number 1 | June 2010
Across 15 issues The CAAST-Net Bulletin showcased the activities of the network to readers across Africa and Europe. Through contributions from a wide variety of cooperation professionals, the publication also served to connect these activities to a broader community of policies, projects and programmes, and organisations.
The early issues of the publication reflect a project coming to terms with its mission, structure and terminologies. The later issues show a project adapting continuously to its external environment. Work-in-progress.
- Issue 15 | April 2013
- Issue 14 | October 2012
- Issue 13 | June 2012
- Issue 12 | September 2011
- Issue 11 | July 2011
- Issue 10 | March 2011
- Issue 9 | December 2010
- Issue 8 | July 2010
- Issue 7 | April 2010
- Issue 6 | January 2010
- Issue 5 | October 2009
- Issue 4 | July 2009
- Issue 3 | April 2009
- Issue 2 | January 2009
- Issue 1 | October 2008 (Pilot issue)
The CAAST-Net project brought together researchers, politicians and policymakers from Europe and Africa around the table and encouraged exchange on a particular theme. They returned to their places of work, enriched in their knowledge, in their mutual trust and technical and cultural understanding, thanks to these periods of discussion with their equivalents from Africa or Europe. - Dr Andrew Cherry, CAAST-Net Coordinator
Read full interview with CAAST-Net project coordinator, Dr Andrew Cherry, posted on the EU's Horizon 2020 website.
This content was produced by *Research Africa for CAAST-Net Plus. To report an error, write to email@example.com. To learn more about us, go to www.researchresearch.com/africa.
Disclaimer: CAAST-Net Plus is funded by the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement n0 311806. This document reflects only the authors’ views and the European Union cannot be held liable for any use that may be made of the information contained herein.