RINEA Launches ‘Portal’
The Horizon 2020-funded network, which kicked off this May, aims to reinforce the EU-Africa science, technology and innovation partnership.
- Project Management Agency of the German Aerospace Center (Coordinator) – Germany
- Finnish University Partnership for International Development – Finland
- Institut de Recherche pour le Développement – France
- Foundation for Research & Technology Hellas – Greece
- The Association of Commonwealth Universities – United Kingdom
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia – Portugal
- Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research – Algeria
- Ministère de la Recherche Scientifique et de l’Innovation – Burkina Faso
- Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche Scientifique – Burundi
- African Union Commission: African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation – Ethiopia
- National Commission on Research, Science and Technology – Namibia
- National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion – Nigeria
- South African Department of Science and Technology – South Africa
According to the new portal, RINEA will:
- Strengthen the quality and quantity of partnerships between research and innovation stakeholders in EU Member states, in Associated Countries and in countries in Africa.
- Encourage transnational coordination of programmes and policies for international cooperation in STI for greater coherence, joint ownership and resource efficiency.
- Support and enrich formal and informal processes of bi‐regional STI policy dialogue between the EU and Africa.
RINEA builds upon and complements the efforts of related European Union-funded projects, such as CAAST-Net (2008-2012), CAAST-Net Plus (2013-2016), and ProIntensAfrica.
The CAAST-Net project, for example, explored the idea of a Europe-Africa S&T portal as early as April 2010.
(Go to Page 4 of The CAAST-Net Bulletin (Issue 7) “The case for greater information on Europe-Africa STI cooperation”).
Information on the new 'Africa-EU Science, Technology and Innovation Portal' includes policy documentation, funding opportunities, news and events.