Forging Closer Ties
Discussions took place at a workshop in Pretoria on 4 and 5 February, which included science programming and science strategy presentations by the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
“We’ve managed to create a bridge between the RECs and the EU-Africa partnership and it’s now up to us to meet the commitments made in the short term that will lead to longer term action,” said CAAST-Net Plus coordinator, Dr Andy Cherry, speaking in an interview after the event.
“The discussions led to some very positive steps in the short term which we can actually address, and in that sense, the workshop’s objectives have been fulfilled,” Cherry said.
CAAST-Net Plus is coordinated by the Association of Commonwealth Universities, UK. Dr Andy Cherry is seen above addressing workshop participants. [Image credit: CAAST-Net Plus] View more workshop photos
- An Overview of the Southern African Development Community's (SADC) Priorities - Anneline Morgan, the Southern African Development Community, Botswana
- Overview of IGAD's Education, Science, Technology and Innovation Program, 2016-2020 - Dr Kebede Kassa Tsegaye, Inter-governmental Authority on Development, Djibouti
- Overview on ECOWAS STI Programmes - Dr Kouakou Roland, Economic Community of West Africa States, Nigeria
- An Overview of ECCAS in EU-Africa STI Cooperation - Dr Palmer Netongo, University of Yaounde, Cameroon
- Overivew: Roadmap for the EU-Africa Partnership on Research and Innovation on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture - Hambani Masheleni, African Union Commission & Stéphane Hogan, EU Delegation to the African Union, Ethiopia
- ERAfrica: An Overview - Stefan A. Haffner, German Aerospace Centre Project Management Agency, Germany, & Prudence Makhura, National Research Foundation, South Africa
- An Overview of the Research and Innovation and Network for Europe and Africa (RINEA) Project - Stefan A. Haffner, German Aerospace Center Project Management Agency, Germany
- An Overview of the PAEPARD Project - Jöel Sor - the French Agricultural Research and International Development, France
- Role of Academies of Science in Addressing Global Sustainability Challenges - Dr Mohamed H.A. Hassan, InterAcademy Partnership, Italy
- An Overview of the Network of African Science Academies (NASAC) - Jackie Olang, Network of African Science Academies, Kenya
- INCONTACT 2020: Supporting International Cooperation under Horizon 2020 - Toto Matshediso, Department of Science and Technology, South Africa
- *Summary Day 1: RECs in Africa-EU STI Cooperation Workshop - Hambani Masheleni, African Union Commission & Stéphane Hogan, EU Delegation to the African Union, Ethiopia
Short-term goals arising from the meeting included:
- That the RECs conduct an internal meeting on their role in EU-Africa STI cooperation;
- That the RECs are involved in an upcoming meeting in Ethiopia on the Roadmap on EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership on FNSSA; and,
- That the RECs are encouraged to participate in future High Level Policy Dialogue (HLPD) meetings, as well as in ERAfrica, CAAST-Net Plus and RINEA stakeholder fora.
This content was produced by *Research Africa for CAAST-Net Plus. To report an error, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about us, go to www.researchresearch.com/africa.
Disclaimer: CAAST-Net Plus is funded by the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement n0 311806. This document reflects only the authors’ views and the European Union cannot be held liable for any use that may be made of the information contained herein.