Climate Change and Renewable Energy on the Cards for Africa-EU R&I Partnership
According to the event report, the discussions, were based on the contents of a draft paper on the Technical Input to a Potential EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership on Climate Change and Renewable Energy composed by partners of the Research and Innovation Network for Europe and Africa (RINEA) project.
The experts also discussed other collaborative R&I programmes that support the proposed priority area:
- African Caribbean Pacific – EU Partnership;
- Belmont Forum and Climate Issues; and,
- Adaptive and Integrated Tools and Strategies for Natural Resources Management (AFROMAISON) project.
The presentations highlighted potential topics for future cooperation in energy efficiency and renewable energy. These topics include:
- Exploitation/technological refinement of existing energy resources;
- Energy storage;
- Urban development planning: smart cities (thermal insulation; solar water heater; low energy lamps; industry; solar air-conditioning);
- Materials – use and manufacturing; and,
- Business development models.
"Technical content that reflects European and African needs shall be identified in order to engage in the next collaborative actions of the partnership," the event report states.
Presentations from the event and the full report can be found on the link provided.
This meeting was organised by the RINEA project.